Blocks & Lots

Real estate broker fee: How to file a complaint

The changes to New York law enacted by the 2019 Tenant Protection Act have a lot of people wondering whether they can get broker fees charged to them returned.

The first step you might take is to speak directly with your broker or landlord. If this doesn’t produce the results you are looking for, you can consider taking another step: filing a complaint against the broker with the state.

To file a complaint against a real estate broker you will need to complete and mail a form to the New York State Department of State Division of Licensing Services.

Because the Division of Licensing Services oversees many types of licensed professionals, the complaint form is not specific to real estate broker complaints.

The complaint form and a link to download the form are provided below.

Before you begin, make sure you know the name on your real estate broker’s license. You can look it up on the State’s Public License Search website:

New York State
Department of State
Division of Licensing Services
Complaint Review Office
P.O. Box 22001
Albany, NY 12201-2001


Link to download the real estate broker complaint form: